Spam email is any email which the recipient never asked for. However, even where people have signed up for an email, they may still use the “report spam” button if the emails they get are not what they expected, or if the recipients forget about the original opt-in.
- .: Only send email marketing messages to people who explicitly requested it.
- .: Don’t buy email addresses, as these people are not expecting email from you.
- .: Ensure your sign-up forms and pages let subscribers make an informed and a clear choice to join a list and explain what kind of emails they can expect.
- .: Don’t wait too long to send out your first email (no more than 2 weeks after a subscriber signs up to your list) and make sure new subscribers always get an immediate welcome message.
- .: Don’t leave more than a few weeks between any sends thereafter.